Sunday, November 10, 2013

Week One

Dumelang!
 
    Hello from South Africa! It's been 5 days since entering Johannesburg and I'm loving immersing myself into a new culture. The first things that have struck me from the get-go have been the hospitality, the time change, season change and separation between people-groups. All of the ladies on staff at Tsholofelo Baby Sanctuary have been very welcoming and kind. Late-Spring sunshine and a bit of thunder and lightning have this solar-powered girl stoked for the months ahead!
    Just today my new friend Dineo from Tsholofelo and I were able to go exploring around the neighborhoods surrounding us. It seems like people aren't used to a black girl and a white girl walking together. We both just giggled at some people's responses and were able to pray together at the mall today. Unity doesn't always happen overnight, but I'm praying that the Lord will shake up this community and bring people together.
    Thankfully, this first arrival week is all about settling in before going to work. The three one-year old boys and 2 month old girl have time to get to know me :) It's easy to see how some volunteers end up adopting these children. My goodness, they're precious!
    On another note, I'd like to ask for prayer for protection for the baby house and workers. Just a few days before arriving, one of the staff was almost abducted just walking distance away from the home. She was waiting for a taxi and was approached by a man trying to make her an offer for a lift. Before setting the deal, she had a negative feeling in her gut and left before the man had a chance to become forceful. The holidays are approaching and now seems to be a popular time for human trafficking. I have been made aware of where I can go and best times of the day to go out and more often than not, go with a local.
    All things considered, I'm excited to begin work this Monday and thankful for your prayers and support! I will post pictures when I'm able to get an American to South African power converter!

Blessings,

Lauren
"My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. " Colossians 2:2-3
    

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see how far you can go by listening to your heart! I'm so glad we had those few months of small group together, and to see this come to fruition is amazing! Praying for you! Please let us know if you need anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers Kristy! That was the most fun I've ever had at Bible study :) Jesus time, girl time and dance parties? Yes. Haha. Hope you and your family are settling in well in NY!
      xo

      Delete